Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pensive

Sometimes I feel really raw.

It often happens after I've watched The Royal Tennenbaums for the millionth time or taken a long, silent soak in the bath.

Blogging can make it happen too. I think to myself... I should write on my blog. What to write about? And as I sift through my thoughts, vetoing potential topics for a post, I find myself reflecting on my own mood. When very few things seem "blog worthy," you just might be in a dour mindset.

I'm there. I'm dour. But instead of just letting it slip away and become a non-moment in my life because I didn't record it on my blog (let's face it, when we look back over our blogs we take our writings to be the holistic expression of how our lives were going at that moment), I'm going to publish it.

Sometimes the weather is too cold for me to even fathom going outside for a run. And other times there are storms inside of me that make me sit still.

Displaying photo.JPG

That's okay.

Is it okay?

I think it's just what people call "melancholy".



mel·an·chol·y
ˈmelənˌkälē/
noun
  1. 1.
    a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.




I think I'm more pensive than sad. Sometimes it's just the pensiveness that's sad all on its own.

The unexamined life may not be worth living, but the examined life isn't a cupcake with sprinkles. 

That's definitely okay.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the melancholy. I think the post-Holidays and nasty weather looming doesn't help anyone's mood. I think a NJ Bird run/food/beer is in order to help us kick the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a bit blah lately too. When I suck it up and go do my run or go meet up with friend it normally lifts. Its when my bum hits the bed or couch that it gets tough to move! Cheer up buttercup. I miss you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete