I made this stew last night and, well, it was love at first bite.
I think you'll find this to be a quick and easy recipe, just right for those days when you don't have much time or energy to put into cooking a meal. This will keep you healthy without breaking the bank or your patience.
Vegan African Peanut Stew
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
3 tbsp curry powder
2 cans diced tomatoes (15 oz. cans)
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
8-10 stems Swiss chard, separate leaves from ribs and slice everything into smaller pieces (see pic below)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 3/4 inch chunks
2 cups brown rice, cooked according to package directions
1. Go ahead and start the brown rice cooking. It will be done when the stew is ready.
2. In a deep saute pan or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium. Add onion and cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapenos and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
3. Add curry powder, tomatoes, and half of the vegetable broth. Then mix in the peanut butter. Stir to incorporate and let cook for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the rest of the vegetable broth, Swiss chard, and sweet potato. Let cook for 20 minutes. The sweet potatoes should be tender but not mushy when they are done. Add salt to your taste.
5. Serve hot over brown rice and with chopped parsley on top (if you like that sort of thing).